Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Audio Bibles and Translations

The two most frequent questions I get asked about the Bible Reading Challenge, apart from ones that I've already addressed here, are:

What Translation should I use?
and What if I would like to listen to the Bible - instead of reading it?

First I'll address the second question: Listening to the Bible is a wonderful thing. You can listen online, get a CD to play in your car, or download an MP3 to your iPod. There are many different translations available by a variety of speakers. Two sites I would recommend for listening online would be:

Bible Gateway
Faith Comes By Hearing (although you have to download and install a special player on your computer for this one).

If you would rather have a CD, or download an MP3, just type "audio bible" into your favorite search engine - and you'll get a multitude of links. One new audio Bible with an all-star cast is The Word of Promise.

As for which translation to use - there are many good ones. I personally use the NRSV (New Revised Standard Version), the NLT (New Living Translation), and The Message (by Eugene Peterson). I haven't decided which I'll use for this Challenge (I still have a few days left...)

My advice for selecting a translation is very simple: Find one that you can understand. That's it. It is rare to find a published Bible that has incorrect translations (although they do exist) - so the emphasis should be on your understanding and comprehension. If you have a hard time reading 17th century English, then don't use the King James. If you think a Bible's wording should be proper and dignified, don't use The Message. Find one that you prefer, possibly by using an online resource (like Crosswalk and Bible Gateway), and then read it. Don't let the choices overwhelm you and keep you from reading, though.

Speaking of being overwhelmed - once you decide on the translation, the next choice you'll need to make is whether you need a plain Bible, a Study Bible, or one written for Left-Handed Truckers (just kidding - I hope...). I generally prefer a Bible with few, if any, notes. To me, a lot of notes are just a distraction from the real Words on the page. Always remember that while the verses are inspired by God, the notes, commentaries, and even chapter headings may be incorrect or misleading. While they can often be helpful - I would encourage you to form your own opinions about the meaning as you read the Bible - instead of relying on someone else to tell you what it means.

The bottom line, though, is to just read the Bible. Don't let any of these decisions be an excuse to keep from reading. Just read the Bible - and see what God will do in and through you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the advice. I have enjoyed Alexander Scourby's recording of the entire King James, using the Audio Bible Cross. I think the right narrator can vastly improve how well you understand the edition.

Pastor Ben said...

Thanks - I hadn't found that one in my search. There's lots of good ones out there.