Thursday, October 30, 2008

Belief and Unbelief

Is it possible to believe in Christ and doubt him at the same time? Is it possible to have belief and unbelief in our hearts and minds simultaneously? If so, what does God think about that? What does he do with us when we get that way?

One of my favorite exclamations in the gospels comes from a man whose son is held captive by an evil spirit (Mark 9:14-29). This man brought his boy to the disciples while Jesus was on the Mount of Transfiguration, but the disciples could not drive out the demon. When Jesus arrived, after some conversation, the man said "if you are able" to do anything... Jesus quickly responded "If you are able! All things can be done for the one who believes." In other words, Jesus was rebuking the man for his lack of faith. Jesus essentially said that those without faith - those with unbelief in their hearts - will not receive what they ask for from God.

So how does the man handle Jesus' rebuke? He immediately exclaims "I believe! Help my unbelief!" What a contradiction! But how true - and applicable for today. Within the span of a couple of seconds, this man revealed his true heart - how he wants to believe that Jesus can heal his son - but he doesn't see how it is possible - so at the same time he also doubts it.

How often are we like that? We want to believe that Jesus Christ can still save us - we want to believe that the words of the Bible are true - we want to believe that God still works in mysterious ways - but we also have our doubts...

So how does Jesus handle the man? He rebukes the child's spirit - and heals him. The father's admission - of faith and of doubt - belief and unbelief - was enough for Christ. That's certainly good news for me - because while I want to have absolute faith in Jesus and the Holy Spirit to work today - I must admit that I still have doubts. But the good news is that Jesus doesn't require perfect faith - he only requires some faith - so that when he does something miraculous in our lives - or in the lives of those around us - our faith will strengthen - and we will give him the glory...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My faith in God is absolute that He can. My "doubt" arises when I have to wonder if what I want, or what I want to happen is in accordance with the will and the purpose of God for my life and/or in the life of those I may pray for. Said differently, I know God can heal a seriously ill family member. I just don't know if He will because it may not be in accordance with His purpose. In line with that thought, perhaps true faith isn't about if He can, only if He will.

Pastor Ben said...

Rob - that's an important distinction. Thanks.